We have a four-step process when restoring block paving
- First, we treat the area with a strong weed killer at least 24 hours before jet washing the blocks. This kills any weeds that are in between the blocks.
- Then we return to high pressure clean the blocks using only water unless there are stubborn black spots or green algae stains which will not come off if so we have to add an additional chemical treatment after the initial clean and then rinse off after the chemicals have killed all living growth.
When jet washing the block paving we make sure to clean deep in between the joints removing all dirt and any weeds from the paving.
- The next step which has to be completed once the block paving is fully dry (usually a couple of days after the pressure washing (weather permitting))
is to re-sand the block paving which involves sweeping kiln dried sand into the joints with a soft brush. The customer has the option of requesting a whacker plate treatment if required which can help vibrate sand deep into any holes between the joints.
After the joints are re-filled with paving sand the last step is to
- Brush the surface sand off the blocks and apply a sealer with our industrial sprayers. The customer has the choice of a matt, or silk finish
The matt is a natural look and the silk leaving a ‘wet glossy look’
Benefits of driveway sealing
The main benefits of applying a sealer to block paving are;
- It increases the lifespan of the paving as it is an oil and water-resistant protective coating that sits on top of the blocks.
- The sealer also makes the jointing sand go hard so helps to inhibit weed growth.
- Sealing can also enhance the look of the block paving blocks.
We generally use smart seal sealers as we are registered installers for their products, they are a market-leading company in sealers and driveway restoring products.
We are also happy to use other sealers or cheaper alternative sealers if the customer has a preference
How often should I pressure wash my driveway?
Avoid the mistake of pressure washing your driveway every year. The high pressure eventually wears out the blocks and the blocks lose their colour and become more dull and ‘gritty’ in appearance.
Instead, invest in a good sealer and maintain your driveway with a soft wash every 4-6 months and top up the sand/sealer if and when needed. This will ensure your driveway looks new all year round
Why not ask us about our maintenance package where we can take care of your driveway all year round